Thursday, March 22, 2012

Recipes! Recipes! Oo La La! (chunky monkey cookies and gluten, dairy and sugar free cookie dough dip)

Well, hello there all you smiling, happy people holding hands!  Please excuse any typographical errors herein, I am typing with one hand and feeding a baby with the other!  Huzzah!

But that is not the end of the many wonders I have turned my hand to today. 

First I made the highest sacrifice a mother can make for her children: I baked our favorite cookies.  Cookies I can not eat.  If you are all at sea, go here for the explanations.  That's right, these cookies are chock-a-block gluten and dairy.  And they are soo good.  They are not "foodie" cookies.  There's no cardamom, basil or raw honey in them.  In fact, you make them with a box of (gasp!) instant pudding.  Years ago, long before children, I used a box of banana cream instant pudding and thus Betsi's Chunky Monkey cookies were born.

You can use any flavor pudding you wish!  Vanilla pudding will just produce regular chocolate chip cookies, only better.  The pudding makes these incredibly moist, rich chocolate chip cookies.

photo taken one-handed with baby on my hip.  Sorry there's no pretty frou-frou display.

So here's the recipe:

2 1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 c. butter, softened
1/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 3.9 oz (small) instant pudding mix (dry)
2 large eggs
12 oz. chocolate chips (go for the Ghiradelli, baby)

Stir together flour and baking soda with whisk.
Beat butter and sugars with mixer. Beat in vanilla and pudding until smooth.
Mix in eggs, one at a time.
Slowly beat in dry ingredients.
Stir in chocolate chips.
Chill for 30 minutes.
Heat oven to 350*
Drop dough in teaspoon size balls on greased cookie sheets, one inch apart.
Bake for 10 minutes or until beginning to firm on edges.
Remove from cookie sheets three minutes out of the oven.
Delicious...

So, there I was, lumping out delicious cookie dough and not even able to make myself g&d free cookies because I'm off sweets right now in an attempt to shed the baby weight; when I remember the recipe I pinned recently on Pinterest (you can check out my boards by clicking on the Pinterest button up on the right).  It looked potentially good.  So I thought I'd give it a go.

I made Cookie Dough Dip.  Gluten, dairy and sugar free cookie dough dip.  It's pretty darn good!

I found the original recipe here.

I modified it a bit.  The original recipe calls for soaking dates overnight in water.  I didn't have dates.  Or patience.  Definitely not the patience.   So I used raw stevia.  I think it turned out pretty good.  You have to be ok with the taste of stevia though.


Cookie Dough Dip

1 1/2 cups chickpeas (1 can drained and rinsed)
heaping 1/8 tsp salt
a little bit over 1/8 tsp baking soda
1 T plus 1 tsp. nut butter (this makes it taste like peanut butter cookie dough.  I was all for it but the writer of the original recipe suggests using only 3 T to avoid this.  I used sun nut butter.)
1 1/4 cups raw stevia
2 T nondairy milk.  I used coconut milk.  I used closer to 3 T but felt this made the dip too thin.
1 cup sugar free chocolate chips or chunks. Recipe for these below. (I don't recommend most sugar free chocolates on the market.  They are generally not dairy free and tend to use unhealthy and diarrhea inducing fake sugars) This site is a good source for all natural dairy, gluten and sugar free chocolates.

Put all ingredients but chocolate chips in food processor and blend till very smooth.  Stir in chocolate chips.  Voila!  Eat with a spoon or dip gluten free pretzels, apples, whatever in!  Well not "whatever".  I mean, don't try to dip little sausages on sticks or anything like that.

Sugar Free chocolate bars

1/2 cup plus 1 T cocoa powder (I prefer Ghiradelli)
4 T unrefined coconut oil (melted)
40 drops NuNaturals vanilla stevia drops (or 1/4 cup agave)

Combine coconut oil and stevia drops.  Stir in cocoa powder and 3 T nondairy milk.  Then stir like a maniac.  Stir like it's your job.  Stir like a boss.  Stir until it gets thick. Smoosh between waxed paper in Ziploc bags and refrigerate or freeze until hard.  Once hard, chop them up for sugar free chocolate chips!

Ok, I've got to go now, the baby is going all Hannibal Lecter on my face.  Seriously, kid's going right for the eyes lately, with those scritchy-scratchy fingernails and a gleeful smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment