Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Gluten And Dairy Free Frosty Strawberry Squares

I'm poking my head in to say "Hi!" and "I miss you!" and "Here's a recipe I modified and am now obsessed with!".

I've blogged about Frosty Strawberry Squares before.  They are a family tradition.  A delicious family tradition.  Have I mentioned before that we also have a family tradition of struggling with our weight?  Yes, well...

I'm still on the gf, df train, though Luke has allowed me to add potatoes back into my diet (yay! I had french fries for the first time since my pregnancy a couple nights ago!).  I couldn't imagine a summer with out Frosty Strawberry Squares, Oh My! (meant to be said like "Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!").  And I will share with you the recipe that has replaced all my meals with smooth, berrylicious goodness.  Ok, not all my meals.  Just breakfast...

Gluten and Dairy Free Frosty Strawberry Squares


Ingredients:

1 cup Jule's gluten free flour (or almond, rice, whatever you prefer)

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts or granola (we have to modify our recipe to granola due to a nut allergy)

1/2 cup coconut oil, melted

2 egg whites

2 tablespoons lemon juice

1 cup white sugar

2 cups pureed strawberries

2 cans coconut milk

1/2 cup powdered sugar


Directions:

Place cans of coconut milk in fridge overnight. (or on ice in freezer for half hour if in a hurry!) Place mixing bowl and whisk attachment in freezer for a couple hours before beating coconut milk.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

someday I'll paint the chalkboard labels I
pinned on Pinterest on these...

Mix flour, brown sugar, nuts or granola and melted coconut oil together in a bowl. Spoon out, evenly, onto tin foil covered cookie sheet. Heat in oven until mixture begins to smell toasted, about 10 minutes. Remove and set aside to cool.

In mixing bowl combine egg whites and lemon juice and whip until soft peaks form. Slowly add in sugar while whipping. Whip until stiff peaks form.


Puree strawberries in a blender or food processor. Fold in strawberries.

Open the cans at the bottom with a bottle opener to drain off the coconut water.  Open the top of the can all the way and scoop out the thick cream.


Beat coconut milk in chilled bowl. As it starts to whip and increase in volume, gradually add in the powdered sugar.


Fold whipped coconut cream into egg white and strawberry mixture.


Sprinkle 2/3 nut/granola mixture over bottom of greased 9x13 pan. Pour strawberry cream mixture over this and smooth evenly. Sprinkle reserved nut/granola mixture over top.

Cover in saran wrap and freeze for six hours or overnight.  No need to let thaw before slicing, this version is super fluffy and creamy!  None of my family could taste any hint of coconut in these.


Yum!

And if you are intimidated by all the whipping and frothing business that goes on in this recipe, let me reassure you.  It's not hard.  See, this is how I made this:

One-handed, nursing a baby.  You can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment